Review of ACL Anatomy and Biomechanics
- Chiba D.
- Yamamoto Y.
- Kimura Y.
- et al.
Lower Extremity Biomechanics and Neuromuscular Function After ACLR
Impact of Rehabilitation on Functional Outcomes After ACLR
- Beynnon B.D.
- Johnson R.J.
- Naud S.
- et al.
Return to Preinjury Level of Sport
- Muller B.
- Yabroudi M.A.
- Lynch A.
- et al.
- Lai C.C.H.
- Ardern C.L.
- Feller J.A.
- Webster K.E.
The Role of Prehabilitation
- Capin J.J.
- Zarzycki R.
- Arundale A.
- Cummer K.
- Snyder-Mackler L.
Sequencing and Progression of Rehabilitation
Localized Interventions to Improve Quadriceps Function
- Hughes L.
- Rosenblatt B.
- Haddad F.
- et al.
- ICMJE author disclosure forms
- Sport-specific yearly risk and incidence of anterior cruciate ligament tears in high school athletes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2716-2723
- A multisport epidemiologic comparison of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in high school athletics.J Athl Train. 2013; 48: 810-817
- Young athletes who return to sport before 9 months after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction have a rate of new injury 7 times that of those who delay return.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2020; 50: 83-90
- Risk of secondary injury in younger athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 1861-1876
- Exploring the high reinjury rate in younger patients undergoing anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2827-2832
- Incidence of second ACL injuries 2 years after primary ACL reconstruction and return to sport.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1567-1573
- Outcomes following ACL reconstruction based on graft type: Are all grafts equivalent?.Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2019; 12: 460-465
- Anatomy and biomechanics of the native and reconstructed anterior cruciate ligament: Surgical implications.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017; 99: 438-445
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries: Anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, and management.Clin J Sport Med. 2012; 22: 349-355
- The cruciate ligaments: Anatomy, biology, and biomechanics.Knee Joint. 2012; : 11-21
- Functional anatomy of the anterior cruciate ligament. Fibre bundle actions related to ligament replacements and injuries.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991; 73: 260-267
- Anterior cruciate ligament: Functional anatomy of its bundles in rotatory instabilities.Am J Sports Med. 1979; 7: 23-26
- Biomechanics of the human triple-bundle anterior cruciate ligament.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 247-254
- The arrangement and the attachment areas of three ACL bundles.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012; 20: 127-134
- Knee ligament anatomy and biomechanics.Sports Med Arthrosc Rev. 2020; 28: 80-86
- Anatomical study of the femoral and tibial insertions of the anteromedial and posterolateral bundles of human anterior cruciate ligament.Am J Sports Med. 2006; 34: 787-792
- Attachment area of fibres from the horns of lateral meniscus: Anatomic study with special reference to the positional relationship of anterior cruciate ligament.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017; 25: 368-373
- Anterior cruciate ligament tibial footprint anatomy: Systematic review of the 21st century literature.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 728-734
- Morphology of anterior cruciate ligament attachments for anatomic reconstruction: A cadaveric dissection and radiographic study.Arthroscopy. 2006; 22: 984-992
- Laterally shifted tibial tunnel can be the risk of residual knee laxity for double-bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction [published online April 30, 2021]. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc.
- Coronal tibial anteromedial tunnel location has minimal effect on knee biomechanics.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 2960-2965
- 3D CT evaluation of femoral and tibial tunnels in anatomic double bundle anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2021; 15: 22-26
- Variations in knee kinematics after ACL injury and after reconstruction are correlated with bone shape differences.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 2427-2435
- Anterolateral knee biomechanics.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017; 25: 1015-1023
- Basic science of anterior cruciate ligament injury and repair.Bone Joint Res. 2014; 3: 20-31
- Preferential loading of the ACL compared with the MCL during landing: A novel in sim approach yields the multiplanar mechanism of dynamic valgus during ACL injuries.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 177-186
- Distribution of in situ forces in the anterior cruciate ligament in response to rotatory loads.J Orthop Res. 2004; 22: 85-89
- Anatomy of the anterior cruciate ligament with regard to its two bundles.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007; 454: 35-47
- Tensile properties of the human femur-anterior cruciate ligament-tibia complex. The effects of specimen age and orientation.Am J Sports Med. 1991; 19: 217-225
- Differences in the microstructural properties of the anteromedial and posterolateral bundles of the anterior cruciate ligament.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 928-936
- Microstructural properties and mechanics vary between bundles of the human anterior cruciate ligament during stress-relaxation.J Biomech. 2016; 49: 87-93
- Anterior cruciate ligament strain behavior during rehabilitation exercises in vivo.Am J Sports Med. 1995; 23: 24-34
- Anterior cruciate ligament strain in vivo: A systematic review.Sports Health. 2016; 8: 451-455
- Strain inhomogeneity in the anterior cruciate ligament under application of external and muscular loads.J Biomech Eng. 1998; 120: 497-503
- The importance of quadriceps and hamstring muscle loading on knee kinematics and in-situ forces in the ACL.J Biomech. 1999; 32: 395-400
- Effects of applied quadriceps and hamstrings muscle loads on forces in the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments.Am J Sports Med. 2004; 32: 1144-1149
- The effects of open versus closed kinetic chain exercises on patients with acl deficient or reconstructed knees: A systematic review.N Am J Sports Phys Ther. 2010; 5: 74-84
- Teamwork is Essential to Success: Sports Physical Therapy is No Exception.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2021; 16: 19041
- Knee kinematics and joint moments during gait following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 597-612
- Progressive changes in walking kinematics and kinetics after anterior cruciate ligament injury and reconstruction: A review and meta-analysis.J Athl Train. 2017; 52: 847-860
- Vertical ground reaction force and knee muscle activation asymmetries in patients with ACL reconstruction compared to healthy individuals.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2020; 28: 2009-2014
- Gait patterns differ between ACL-reconstructed athletes who pass return-to-sport criteria and those who fail.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 1310-1318
- Limb asymmetries in landing and jumping 2 years following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin J Sport Med. 2007; 17: 258-262
- The single-leg vertical hop provides unique asymmetry information in individuals after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin Biomech. 2020; 80: 105107
- Biomechanical asymmetries persist after ACL reconstruction: Results of a 2-year study.J Exp Orthop. 2020; 7: 86
- Rehabilitation practice patterns following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A survey of physical therapists.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 801-811
- Evidence-based clinical practice update: Practice guidelines for anterior cruciate ligament rehabilitation based on a systematic review and multidisciplinary consensus.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1506-1515
- Accelerated versus nonaccelerated rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A prospective, randomized, double-blind investigation evaluating knee joint laxity using roentgen stereophotogrammetric analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 2536-2548
- Rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of programs administered over 2 different time intervals.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 347-359
- Effects of early progressive eccentric exercise on muscle size and function after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A 1-year follow-up study of a randomized clinical trial.Phys Ther. 2009; 89: 51-59
- Preoperative quadriceps strength is a significant predictor of knee function two years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Br J Sports Med. 2009; 43: 371-376
- The influence of graft choice on isokinetic muscle strength 4-24 months after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011; 19: 768-780
- Neuromuscular function of the knee joint following knee injuries: does it ever get back to normal? a systematic review with meta-analyses.Sports Med. 2021; 51: 321-338
- Should return to sport be delayed until 2 years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction? Biological and functional considerations.Sports Med. 2017; 47: 221-232
- Criterion-based rehabilitation program with return to sport testing following ACL reconstruction: A case series.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2020; 15: 1151-1173
- Kinesiophobia after anterior cruciate ligament rupture and reconstruction: Noncopers versus potential copers.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2013; 43: 821-832
- Relationship between pain catastrophizing and 6-month outcomes following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Sport Rehabil. 2020; 29: 808-812
- Psychological aspects of recovery following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015; 23: 501-509
- Psychological predictors of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction outcomes: A systematic review.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2015; 23: 752-762
- How is psychological outcome related to knee function and return to sport among adolescent athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction?.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 1567-1575
- Psychosocial interventions help facilitate recovery following musculoskeletal sports injuries: A systematic review.Phys Sportsmed. 2020; 48: 370-377
- Do psychosocial interventions improve rehabilitation outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction? A systematic review.Clin Rehabil. 2018; 32: 287-298
- Expectations for return to preinjury sport before and after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 578-583
- Return to preinjury sports after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction is predicted by five independent factors [published online April 22, 2021]. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc.
- A randomized clinical trial comparing patellar tendon, hamstring tendon, and double-bundle ACL reconstructions: Patient-reported and clinical outcomes at 5-year follow-up.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 949-960
- Eighty-three per cent of elite athletes return to preinjury sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review with meta-analysis of return to sport rates, graft rupture rates and performance outcomes.Br J Sports Med. 2018; 52: 128-138
- Performance-based outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in professional athletes differ between sports.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 2226-2232
- Young athletes after ACL reconstruction with quadriceps strength asymmetry at the time of return-to-sport demonstrate decreased knee function 1 year later.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 426-433
- The effectiveness of preoperative rehabilitation programmes on postoperative outcomes following anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction: A systematic review.BMC Musculoskel Disord. 2020; 21: 647
- Quadriceps strength symmetry does not modify gait mechanics after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction, rehabilitation, and return-to-sport training.Am J Sports Med. 2021; 49: 417-425
- Report of the primary outcomes for gait mechanics in men of the ACL-SPORTS Trial: Secondary prevention with and without perturbation training does not restore gait symmetry in men 1 or 2 years after ACL reconstruction.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017; 475: 2513-2522
- Evidence for the effects of prehabilitation before ACL-reconstruction on return to sport-related and self-reported knee function: A systematic review.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0240192
- Does extended preoperative rehabilitation influence outcomes 2 years after ACL reconstruction? A comparative effectiveness study between the MOON and Delaware-Oslo ACL Cohorts.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2608-2614
- 2016 Consensus statement on return to sport from the First World Congress in Sports Physical Therapy, Bern.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 853-864
- Criteria for return to running after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A scoping review.Br J Sports Med. 2018; 52: 1437-1444
- Practice guidelines for anterior cruciate ligament rehabilitation: A criterion-based rehabilitation progression.Operative Tech Orthop. 1996; 6: 190-196
- Criteria-based return to sprinting progression following lower extremity injury.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2020; 15: 326-332
- Current clinical concepts: Blood flow restriction training.J Athl Train. 2021; 56: 937-944
- Commentary: Blood flow restriction exercise: Considerations of methodology, application, and safety.Front Physiol. 2020; 11: 599592
- Blood flow restriction training for athletes: A systematic review.Am J Sports Med. 2021; 49: 1938-1944
- Exercise with blood flow restriction: An updated evidence-based approach for enhanced muscular development.Sports Med. 2015; 45: 313-325
- Comparing the effectiveness of blood flow restriction and traditional heavy load resistance training in the post-surgery rehabilitation of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction patients: A UK National Health Service randomised controlled trial.Sports Med. 2019; 49: 1787-1805
- Blood flow restriction therapy versus standard care for reducing quadriceps atrophy after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Sport Rehabil. 2019; 28: 897-901
- Perioperative blood flow restriction rehabilitation in patients undergoing ACL reconstruction: A systematic review.Orthop J Sports Med. 2020; 8 (2325967120906822)
- Arthrogenic muscle inhibition after ACL reconstruction: A scoping review of the efficacy of interventions.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 289-298
- Utility of neuromuscular electrical stimulation to preserve quadriceps muscle fiber size and contractility after anterior cruciate ligament injuries and reconstruction: A randomized, sham-controlled, blinded trial.Am J Sports Med. 2020; 48: 2429-2437
- Neuromuscular electrical stimulation is effective in strengthening the quadriceps muscle after anterior cruciate ligament surgery.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 399-410
- Functional electrical stimulation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A randomized controlled pilot study.J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2019; 16: 89
- Quadriceps muscle activation and radiographic osteoarthritis following ACL revision.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2011; 19: 634-640
- A comparison of neuromuscular electrical stimulation parameters for postoperative quadriceps strength in patients after knee surgery: A systematic review.Sports Health. 2021; 13: 116-127
- Initial phase of maximal voluntary and electrically stimulated knee extension torque development at different knee angles.J Appl Physiol. 2004; 97: 1693-1701
- Treatment of acute isolated and combined ruptures of the anterior cruciate ligament. A long-term follow-up study.Am J Sports Med. 1992; 20: 7-12
- Comparative outcomes of radial and bucket-handle meniscal tear repair: A propensity-matched analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2018; 46: 2653-2660
- Compressive loads in longitudinal lateral meniscus tears: A biomechanical study in porcine knees.Arthroscopy. 2005; 21: 1452-1456
- Does simulated walking cause gapping of meniscal repairs?.J Exp Orthop. 2016; 3: 11
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: B.R.W. reports other from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Journal of Orthopedics, ARTHROSCOPY, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons, Encore Medical, Midwest Orthopedics, Wright Medical Technologies, Depuy Synthes, and Desert Mountain Medical; and personal fees from Elsevier and Genzyme. Full ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy