Level of Evidence
ACL Injuries in Children and Adolescents
Psychosocial Considerations for the Youth Athlete
- Paterno M.V.
- Schmitt L.C.
- Thomas S.
- Duke N.
- Russo R.
- Quatman-Yates C.C.
- Paterno M.V.
- Schmitt L.C.
- Thomas S.
- Duke N.
- Russo R.
- Quatman-Yates C.C.
Rehabilitation is Slower in the Youth Athlete
Return to Sport Testing for the Youth
- Capin J.J.
- Snyder-Mackler L.
- Risberg M.A.
- Grindem H.
- Graziano J.
- Chiaia T.
- De Mille P.
- Nawabi D.H.
- Green D.W.
- Cordasco F.A.
- Hullmann S.
- Ryan J.
- Ramsey R.
- Chaney J.
- Mullins L.
Reinjury Rate is High in the Youth
- Capin J.J.
- Failla M.
- Zarzycki R.
- et al.
- Buckthorpe M.
- Villa F Della
- Villa S Della
- Roi G.S.
Time to Return to Sport is Later in Youth Athletes
- ICMJE author disclosure forms
- ACL injuries aren’t just for girls: The role of age in predicting pediatric ACL injury.Sports Health. 2020; 12: 559-563
- Trends in pediatric ACL reconstruction from the PHIS database.J Pediatr Orthop. 2018; 38: e490-e494
- ACL tears in school-aged children and adolescents over 20 years.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20161877
- Trends in pediatric and adolescent anterior cruciate ligament injury and reconstruction.J Pediatr Orthop. 2016; 36: 447-452
- Trends in anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the United States.Orthop J Sport Med. 2015; 3: 1-8
- 20 years of pediatric anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in New York state.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 675-680
- Incidence and trends of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in the United States.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2363-2370
- The risk for a cruciate ligament injury of the knee in adolescents and young adults: A population-based cohort study of 46,500 people with a 9 year follow-up.Br J Sports Med. 2008; 42: 422-426
- Injury risk associated with sports specialization and activity volume in youth.Orthop J Sport Med. 2019; 7 (2325967119870124)
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in children and adolescents.Orthop Clin North Am. 2016; 47: 777-788
- Early operative versus delayed operative versus nonoperative treatment of pediatric and adolescent anterior cruciate ligament injuries: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2021; 49: 4008-4017
- Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament in the skeletally immature athlete: A review of current concepts AAOS exhibit selection.J Bone Jt Surg A. 2013; 95: e28
- Outcomes of physeal-sparing ACL reconstruction with iliotibial band autograft in skeletally immature prepubescent children.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 1087-1094
- Early ACL reconstruction in children leads to less meniscal and articular cartilage damage when compared with conservative or delayed treatment.J ISAKOS Jt Disord Orthop Sport Med. 2016; 1: 10-15
- Over 90 % of children and adolescents return to sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Knee Surg Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 1019-1036
- Return to sport after pediatric anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and its effect on subsequent anterior cruciate ligament injury.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2017; 99: 897-904
- Incidence of second ACL injuries 2 years after primary ACL reconstruction and return to sport.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 1567-1573
- Revision ACL reconstruction in children and adolescents.J Pediatr Orthop. 2020; 40: 129-134
- Outcomes of revision anterior cruciate ligament surgery in adolescents.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 1346-1352
- Revision ACL reconstruction in adolescent patients.Orthop J Sport Med. 2020; 8 (2325967120953337)
- Sports specialization and intensive training in young athletes.Pediatrics. 2016; 138e20162148
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury in pediatric and adolescent soccer players: An analysis of insurance data.J Pediatr Orthop. 2004; 24: 623-628
- Surgical techniques and outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in preadolescent patients.Arthroscopy. 2010; 26: 1530-1538
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries in pediatric athletes presenting to sports medicine clinic: A comparison of males and females through growth and development.Sports Health. 2015; 7: 130-136
- MRI of anterior cruciate ligament injuries and associated findings in the pediatric knee: Changes with skeletal maturation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 185: 756-762
- Anterior cruciate ligament injuries: Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: e1437-e1450
- Longitudinal effects of maturation on lower extremity joint stiffness in adolescent athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 1829-1837
- Longitudinal sex differences during landing in knee abduction in young athletes.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010; 42: 1923-1931
- Biomechanical measures of neuromuscular control and valgus loading of the knee predict anterior cruciate ligament injury risk in female athletes: A prospective study.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 492-501
- Decrease in neuromuscular control about the knee with maturation in female athletes.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2004; 86: 1601-1608
- A systematic review of sensorimotor function during adolescence: A developmental stage of increased motor awkwardness?.Br J Sports Med. 2012; 46: 649-655
- All-inside, all-epiphyseal anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in skeletally immature athletes: Return to sport, incidence of second surgery, and 2-year clinical outcomes.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 856-863
- ACL reconstruction in youth athletes results in an improved rate of return to athletic activity when compared with non-operative treatment: A systematic review of the literature.J ISAKOS Jt Disord Orthop Sport Med. 2016; 1: 62-69
- Anterior cruciate ligament tears in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis of nonoperative versus operative treatment.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2769-2776
- Outcomes and risks of operative treatment of rupture of the anterior cruciate ligament in children and adolescents.Arthroscopy. 2010; 26: 1539-1550
- Rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament tears in children.JBJS Rev. 2016; 4: e4
- ABC of adolescence: Adolescent development.BMJ. 2005; 330: 301-304
- Changes in health-related quality of life and knee function after knee injury in young female athletes.Orthop J Sport Med. 2014; 2 (2325967114530988)
- Changes in self-reported knee function and health-related quality of life after knee injury in female athletes.Clin J Sport Med. 2012; 22: 334-340
- Impact of in- season injury on quality of life and sleep duration in female youth volleyball athletes: A prospective study of 2073 players.Br J Sport Med. 2021; 55: 912-916
- Correlation between the child health questionnaire and the international knee documentation committee score in pediatric and adolescent patients with an anterior cruciate ligament tear.J Pediatr Orthop. 2013; 33: 216-220
- Perceptions of rehabilitation and return to sport among high school athletes with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A qualitative research study.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 48: 951-959
- Young, talented and injured: Injury perceptions, experiences and consequences in adolescent elite athletes.Eur J Sport Sci. 2018; 18: 731-740
- Psychosocial factors in sports injury rehabilitation and return to play.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2014; 25: 915-930
- The effects of timing of pediatric knee ligament surgery on short-term academic performance in school-aged athletes.Am J Sports Med. 2009; 37: 1684-1691
- The psychological response to injury in student athletes: A narrative review with a focus on mental health.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 145-148
- Investigating correlates of athletic identity and sport-related injury outcomes: A scoping review.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e044199
- Prevalence of posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms among young athletes after anterior cruciate ligament rupture.Orthop J Sport Med. 2018; 6 (2325967118787159)
- 2018 International Olympic Committee consensus statement on prevention, diagnosis and management of paediatric anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injuries.Br J Sports Med. 2018; 52: 422-438
- Coping with sports injuries: An examination of the adolescent athlete.J Adolesc Heal. 2002; 31: 391-393
- Perioperative anxiety and postoperative pain in children and adolescents undergoing elective surgical procedures: A quantitative systematic review.J Adv Nurs. 2014; 70: 243-255
- Social adaptability, cognitive abilities, and other predictors for children’s reactions to surgery.J Clin Anesth. 2000; 12: 549-554
- Preoperative anxiety in children. Predictors and outcomes.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1996; 150: 1238-1245
- Presurgical psychosocial predictors of acute postsurgical pain and quality of life in children undergoing major surgery.J Pain. 2015; 16: 226-234
- Patient and parent perceptions of rehabilitation factors that influence outcomes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and clearance to return to sport in adolescents and young adults.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49: 576-583
- Strength asymmetry and landing mechanics at return to sport after ACL reconstruction.Med Sci Sport Exerc. 2015; 47: 1426-1434
- The impact of quadriceps femoris strength asymmetry on functional performance at return to sport following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012; 42: 750-759
- Strength and functional performance recovery after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in preadolescent athletes.Sports Health. 2014; 6: 309-312
- Strength and function across maturational levels in young athletes at the time of return to sport after ACL reconstruction.Sports Health. 2019; 11: 324-331
- Adolescent anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A retrospective analysis of quadriceps strength recovery and return to full activity after surgery.J Pediatr Orthop. 2009; 29: 486-489
- Young athletes cleared for sports participation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: How many actually meet recommended return-to-sport criterion cutoffs?.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 825-833
- Effects and mechanisms of strength training in children.Int J Sports Med. 2011; 32: 357-364
- Effects of strength training on motor performance skills in children and adolescents: A meta-analysis.Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2011; 23: 186-206
- Strength training effects in prepubescent boys.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1990; 22: 605-614
- The youth physical development model: A new approach to long-term athletic development.Strength Cond J. 2012; 34: 61-72
- Endocrine control of growth.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2013; 163C: 76-85
- Hormonal factors in the development of differences in strength between boys and girls during adolescence: A longitudinal study.Ann Hum Biol. 1999; 26: 49-62
- When is it safe to return to sport after ACL reconstruction? Reviewing the criteria.Sports Health. 2019; 11: 301-305
- Psychological aspects of recovery following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015; 23: 501-509
- Psychological responses matter in returning to preinjury level of sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 1549-1558
- Return to high school- and college-level football after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A Multicenter Orthopaedic Outcomes Network (MOON) cohort study.Am J Sports Med. 2012; 40: 2523-2529
- Fear of re-injury: A hindrance for returning to sports after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Knee Surg Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2005; 13: 393-397
- Self-reported fear predicts functional performance and second ACL Injury after ACL reconstruction and return to sport: A pilot study.Sports Health. 2018; 10: 228-233
- Smaller change in psychological readiness to return to sport is associated with second anterior cruciate ligament injury among younger patients.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 1209-1215
- Psychosocial factors influencing the recovery of athletes with anterior cruciate ligament injury: A systematic review.Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2013; 23: 527-540
- Limited evidence for return to sport testing after ACL reconstruction in children and adolescents under 16 years: A scoping review.J Exp Orthop. 2020; 7: 83
- Keep calm and carry on testing: A substantive reanalysis and critique of “What is the evidence for and validity of return-to-sport testing after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery? A systematic review and meta-analysis.”.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 1444-1446
- Which criteria are used to clear patients to return to sport after primary ACL reconstruction? A scoping review.Br J Sports Med. 2019; 53: 1154-1161
- Uninjured youth athlete performance on single-leg hop testing: How many can achieve recommended return-to-sport criterion?.Sports Health. 2020; 12: 552-558
- Limb symmetry indexes can overestimate knee function after ACL injury.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2017; 47: 334-338
- Is it time we better understood the tests we are using for return to sport decision making following ACL reconstruction? A critical review of the hop tests.Sport Med. 2020; 50: 485-495
- Young athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with single-leg landing asymmetries at the time of return to sport demonstrate decreased knee function 2 years later.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 2604-2613
- Biomechanical measures during landing and postural stability predict second anterior cruciate ligament injury after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and return to sport.Am J Sports Med. 2010; 38: 1968-1978
- Limited hip and knee flexion during landing is associated with increased frontal plane knee motion and moments.Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2010; 25: 142-146
- Interrater and intrarater reliability and discriminant validity of a pediatric lower extremity physical therapy clearance test.Orthop J Sport Med. 2021; 9 (2325967120983827)
- Return to sport for skeletally immature athletes after ACL reconstruction: Preventing a second injury using a quality of movement assessment and quantitative measures to address modifiable risk factors.Orthop J Sport Med. 2017; 5 (2325967117700599)
- Use of patient-reported outcome measures in pediatric orthopaedic literature.J Pediatr Orthop. 2018; 38: 393-397
- Which metrics are being used to evaluate children and adolescents after ACL reconstruction? A systematic review.Arthrosc Sport Med Rehabil. 2020; 2: e417-e428
- Outcome measures after ACL Injury in pediatric patients: A scoping review.Orthop J Sport Med. 2019; 7 (2325967119861803)
- PROMs in paediatric knee ligament injury: Use the Pedi-IKDC and avoid using adult PROMs.Knee Surg Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2019; 27: 1965-1973
- Reliability, validity, and responsiveness of a modified International Knee Documentation Committee Subjective Knee Form (Pedi-IKDC) in children with knee disorders.Am J Sports Med. 2011; 39: 933-939
- Pedi-IKDC or KOOS-child: Which questionnaire should be used in children with knee disorders?.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019; 20: 240
- Psychometric properties of the Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score for Children (KOOS-Child) in children with knee disorders.Br J Sports Med. 2014; 48: 1437-1446
- Development and validation of a pediatric sports activity rating scale: The Hospital for Special Surgery Pediatric Functional Activity Brief Scale (HSS Pedi-FABS).Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 2421-2429
- Measures of general pediatric quality of life: Child Health Questionnaire (CHQ), DISABKIDS Chronic Generic Measure (DCGM), KINDL-R, Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory (PedsQL) 4.0 Generic Core Scales, and Quality of My Life Questionnaire (QoML).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63: S420-S430
- The PedsQL: Measurement model for the pediatric quality of life inventory.Med Care. 1999; 37: 126-139
- Cognitive interviewing methodology in the development of a pediatric item bank: A patient reported outcomes measurement information system (PROMIS) study.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2009; 7: 3
- Development and preliminary validation of a scale to measure the psychological impact of returning to sport following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction surgery.Phys Ther Sport. 2008; 9: 9-15
- Psychological readiness to return to sport Is associated with second anterior cruciate ligament injuries.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 857-862
- Analysis of shortened versions of the Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia and Pain Catastrophizing Scale for patients following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Clin J Pain. 2012; 28: 73-80
- ACL injuries before 15 years of age: Could the young become an athlete?.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2020; 140: 1055-1063
- Risk of secondary injury in younger athletes after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Sport Med. 2016; 44: 1861-1876
- Incidence of contralateral and ipsilateral anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury after primary ACL reconstruction and return to sport.Clin J Sport Med. 2012; 22: 116-121
- Younger patients are at increased risk for graft rupture and contralateral injury after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 641-647
- Exploring the high reinjury rate in younger patients undergoing anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction.Am J Sports Med. 2016; 44: 2827-2832
- Which children are at risk for contralateral anterior cruciate ligament injury after ipsilateral reconstruction?.J Pediatr Orthop. 2020; 40: 162-167
- Risk factors for early ACL reconstruction failure in pediatric and adolescent patients: A review of 561 cases.J Pediatr Orthop. 2018; 38: 388-392
- Pediatric ACL reconstruction and return to the operating room: Revision Is less than half of the story.J Pediatr Orthop. 2019; 39: 516-520
- Comparison of allograft versus autograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction graft survival in an active adolescent cohort.Am J Sports Med. 2014; 42: 2311-2318
- Outcomes and revision rate after bone-patellar tendon-bone allograft versus autograft anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in patients aged 18 years or younger with closed physes.Arthroscopy. 2012; 28: 1819-1825
- Increased incidence of anterior cruciate ligament revision surgery in paediatric verses adult population.Knee Surg Sport Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017; 26: 1362-1366
- Increased lateral tibial slope is a risk factor for pediatric anterior cruciate ligament injury: An MRI-based case-control study of 152 patients.Am J Sports Med. 2015; 43: 1632-1639
- The association of tibial slope and anterior cruciate ligament rupture in skeletally immature patients.Arthroscopy. 2015; 31: 77-82
- Knee morphometric risk factors for acute anterior cruciate ligament injury in skeletally immature patients.J Child Orthop. 2015; 9: 161-168
- Revision anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction outcomes in younger patients: Medial meniscal pathology and high rates of return to sport are associated with third ACL injuries.Am J Sports Med. 2018; 46: 1137-1142
- The effect of neuromuscular training on the incidence of knee injury in female athletes: A prospective study.Am J Sports Med. 1999; 27: 699-706
- Neuromuscular retraining intervention programs: Do they reduce noncontact anterior cruciate ligament injury rates in adolescent female athletes?.Arthroscopy. 2014; 30: 245-255
- Compliance with neuromuscular training and anterior cruciate ligament injury risk reduction in female athletes: A meta-analysis.J Athl Train. 2012; 47: 714-723
- Neuromuscular training improves performance and lower-extremity biomechanics in female athletes.J strength Cond Res. 2005; 19: 51-60
- Reducing knee and anterior cruciate ligament injuries among female athletes.J Knee Surg. 2005; 18: 82-88
- The influence of age on the effectiveness of neuromuscular training to reduce anterior cruciate ligament injury in female athletes: A meta-analysis.Am J Sports Med. 2013; 41: 203-215
- Critical components of neuromuscular training to reduce ACL injury risk in female athletes: Meta-regression analysis.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 1259-1266
- Clinical outcomes and return-to-sports participation of 50 soccer players after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction through a sport-specific rehabilitation protocol.Sports Health. 2012; 4: 17-24
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and rehabilitation: Predictors of functional outcome.Joints. 2016; 3: 179-185
- Superior 2-Year functional outcomes among young female athletes after ACL reconstruction in 10 return-to-sport training sessions: Comparison of ACL-SPORTS randomized controlled trial with Delaware-Oslo and MOON cohorts.Orthop J Sport Med. 2019; 7 (2325967119861311)
- On-field rehabilitation part 1: 4 pillars of high-quality on-field rehabilitation are restoring movement quality, physical conditioning, restoring sport-specific skills, and progressively developing chronic training load.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49: 565-569
- Patient expectations and perceived social support related to return to sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction in adolescent athletes.Phys Ther Sport. 2021; 47: 72-77
- Simple decision rules can reduce reinjury risk by 84% after ACL reconstruction: The Delaware-Oslo ACL cohort study.Br J Sports Med. 2016; 50: 804-808
- Young athletes who return to sport before 9 months after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction have a rate of new injury 7 times that of those who delay return.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2020; 50: 83-90
- Should return to sport be delayed until two years after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction? Biological and functional considerations.Sport Med. 2017; 47: 221-232
The authors report the following potential conflicts of interest or sources of funding: D.W.G. reports royalties from Anthrex, Inc., and Pega Medical; consulting fees from Anthrex, Inc.; and other from Current Opinion in Pediatrics and Wolters Kluwer Health. Full ICMJE author disclosure forms are available for this article online, as supplementary material.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy